Wednesday, October 20, 2010

October 3rd Cruise: Crete and Santorini!

Again we woke up early this morning (last night i didn't stay up as late, so it was a little easier). Now we were on the island of Crete! This was the home of the Minoan civilization in 3000-1100 B.C. On this island, we visited Knossos and the Labyrinth. This was probably my least favorite only because of our tour guide. She went super fast and I couldn't really understand her. Plus I wasn't feeling very good, but I tried to just enjoy the scenery while I was there instead of listening to her as much as I could...Anyways.The palace of Knossos was discovered by Arthur Evans. It was one of three palaces in the area, but none were as great as Knossos. It was destroyed twice by fire and earthquake, but the civilization still remained! The Labyrinth was in the palace of Knossos where the Minotaur lived (so goes mythology). Anyways, at this place I liked the scenery and the coolest thing that was there were the HUGE pots! Like they were HUGEEE! I took a picture of them. I don't know how people crafted those...it's just crazy! I also liked the frescos here...and that's about it for the history part. We were able to go into the city for only about 40 minutes. So of course, we got ice cream (like we do on every island). And we walked around just window shopping. It was fun :)

me and ash at the palace :)

shopping...what a candid shot!

part of the palace of knossos


huge bowls!!!

cool fresco with bad refelction...

 
me in the city of crete :)          




you can see the numbers on the steps...they never end!
NEXT & LAST STOP: SANTORINI!! Ah, this island was so much crazy fun and the most beautiful island I HAVE EVER SEEN! Seriously...you would die. Okay. A little history on it. So apparently there was this huge volcano explosion, and so therefore in order to actually get to the island, we had to take a boat from the ship, and then once we got to the land, we had to either take a cable car, walk over 500 steps, or ride a donkey up the steps to get to where the actual community is! So of course for cultural experience, I rode the donkey :) That was the best part of the trip :) There is no real historical significance to the island so we didn't have to take notes which was awesome! So while I was on the donkey, it was interesting. First of all, I had shorts on so and my donkey was hooked to the donkey in front of me who was being led by about a 15 year old boy who worked there...he kept yelling at the donkeys in front of him if they didn't move. And, it took probably at least 20 minutes to get to the top. As I said, I had shorts on, and my knee kept bumping the butt of the donkey in front of me...I was so worried that it was going to poop on my knee! But I kept trying to keep my knee out of the way...haha. I was successful...but barely...eek! Haha. So once we got to the top, Ash and I started taking pictures, then we looked at the shops, and I got something there for each of my girl friends :) I was super excited about that! Also, we got icecream (of course..) This was my favorite ice cream that I have had...but honestly I don't remember the name of it. I think it had caramel or something. Anyways so we just walked around and it was beautiful :) I'll let the pictures tell the rest!
me in a cute lil street :)

AMAZING sunset :)

i told you it was beautiful beyond words...

right???

oh, the donkey ride!! hahahah

:)

me and ash in front of the beautiful view :)

ice cream as always :)

just admiring the view :)

again :)

this is the boat we had to take in order to get on the island...that is conor and kari by me :)

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    I love travel, that so I love this site. It was an interesting and enjoyable site for me. These pictures are so nice. Thanks for this post! very informative!

    Cruises In Turkey

    ReplyDelete