Friday, September 17, 2010

Day Five September 14th, 2010 The Acropolis!

Ya know...just standing in front of the Acropolis!
Hello there! Today was awesome! We went to the Acropolis, Parthenon, and the museum and it was amazing! Walking in the same places that all the Bible stories we here are about was crazy, so surreal. We even had a little devotional on the top of Mars Hill! As I walked through the Acropolis, I was amazed at the fact that archaeologists/excavators were able to restore a lot of the damage that had been done to the buildings throughout the years. The patience and detail that went into all of that must have been ridiculously hard. The parts that they had re-done were a little bit lighter marble, where as the old marble was more of a yellow tint. My favorite two parts were the Parthenon and the Temple of Athena. Listening about how the people would bring gifts and offerings to those places was so fascinating.  Historically, the Acropolis plays a huge role! It was the place where basically everything in the city happened and it was a very important part of their every day lives. Culturally, it was almost everything to them. It would be like in my world, the city of Seattle. It is where everything happens, where everyone gathers, and the most important people lived there. In that way, I can really relate to what this meant to the people back then. This also is how it relates to my personal experiences, and backgrounds. As far as my education goes, this was my first time really learning about the place. I had always heard the term "Acropolis" and "Greek Agora" but actually seeing the places put into perspective what they really were.

I was also really fascinated in the museum with all the statues, and learning that during different time periods, the statues of people changed. Whether they are smiling in the statues, wearing clothes or not, or even just how they were wearing their clothes can show you who made the statue, and what time period it was made in. I thought that was really awesome and it made every single statue unique.

Personally, this experience had an abundance of learning for me that I never would have gotten out of just reading a textbook and taking notes in class. I am so blessed to have been able to see and experience a little bit of what our ancestors experienced every day.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds super exciting Skyler! I'm way jealous of your historical learning adventures =D My dad just finished up a Bible class on the letters in Revelations to the churches and he would introduce each letter with a powerpoint slide of what the location looks like today--the pictures are pretty awesome, so I can only imagine what it's like to actually be walking around such a historical country!

    And alllll the art and beauty of the culture you're talking about getting to see-AHH! I'm way jealous and look forward to more of your blogging and photos from facebook =D

    ReplyDelete