Saturday, November 20, 2010

Temples and more Temples Nov. 3rd

So we woke up this morning, had a really nice breakfast. Then we headed off by bus to the Temple of Karnak. This temple was pretty cool. It was a lot bigger than the other Temples that we had been to so far. I was kinda upset because I forgot my sunglasses today and the sun was giving me a headache. Also, I never want to drink too much because there are few stops that we are able to go to the bathroom, and half the time they don't have toilet paper. Basically going to the bathroom in Egypt is a hassle. Anyways, this temple started in the 12th dynasty. This temple includes a very famous hypostyle hall that is "one of the world's greatest architectural places." It is actually considered the 8th wonder of the world. The Hypostyle hall was a section that was only for the priests. One thing that I thought was really interesting was at the front of the temple were two rows on each side of you of statues of rams. Underneath the chins of the rams were little statues of Ramses II.

this is some of the columns in the hypostyle hall
 Here at this temple is also where they have this "good luck cherub" that we walked around. Tradition has it that if you walk around it 3 times you'll be rich, 5 times you'll get married, and 7 times, you'll be pregnant! So, I walked around it 5 times of course with the other Skylar and Ashlee :) Kalie walked around it 7 times...haha oh dear.

the good luck cherub
After this temple, we went to a perfumery where the shop owner showed us a million and one different perfumes and oils that they sold. They were really nice and offered good prices...but again, it would have been hard to transport them back home. Also, it gave me a headache in there, so I had to leave early. After that, we went to the Luxor Museum. We were not allowed to take pictures in there, and we were not even supposed to have a tour guide but Osman was really sneaky and we used our whisper sets so it ended up working out okay. I liked this museum and my favorite part was that we actually got to see a skeleton that was mummified. It was legit.

After the museum, we went back to the cruise boat. It was actually going to start sailing today during lunch time. We were informed that we were going to go over a locke that night and that before the locke there would be vendors in other little boats that would surround our cruise ship and try to sell us stuff by throwing it up on to the top deck. So after a relaxing afternoon, we went up to the deck and watched as the crazy vendors tried to sell us stuff. I got a few hilarious videos but I will have to wait til I get back home to post them because the internet here is weak. 

here are some of the crazy vendors on a boat below us haha
After the adventure with that, my friend Lia and I watched the sunset and talked for a while on the ship while we passed over the locke. Then, we had to go and get ready for  "Egyptian night" on the cruise boat. We all got ready and dressed and had dinner in our egyptian costumes :)


Then after dinner we had a dance party in the lounge with every one :) It was fun, and then it was bed time!

No comments:

Post a Comment